Choose one of the five factions
(Detailed wiki pages are under construction)
Factions are similar to political parties, religious organizations, or secret societies. All five factions have their reasons for opposing the spread of Elemental Evil. However, none fully comprehend the threat at the adventure's start. The Harpers and the Emerald Enclave operate on personal relationships, so characters may have met their contacts before the adventures start. The Lords' Alliance and the Zhentarim, on the other hand, have an elaborate system of pass phrases and secret signs that identify their agents to one another.
- One can never have too much information.
- Too much power leads to corruption.
- No one should be powerless.
To gather information throughout Faerûn, discern the political dynamics within each region or realm, and promote fairness and equality by covert means. Act openly as a last resort. Thwart tyrants and any leader, government, or group that grows too powerful, and aid the weak, the poor, and the oppressed.
- If civilization is to survive, all must unite against the dark forces that threaten it.
- Glory comes from protecting one’s home and honoring its leaders.
- The best defense is a strong offense.
To ensure the safety and prosperity of the cities and other settlements of Faerûn by forming a strong coalition against the forces that threaten all, eliminate such threats by any means necessary whenever and wherever they arise, and be champions of the people.
- Faith is the greatest weapon against evil—faith in one’s god, one’s friends, and one’s self.
- Battling evil is an extraordinary task that requires extraordinary strength and bravery.
- Punishing an evil act is just. Punishing an evil thought is not.
To be armed, vigilant, and ready to smite evil, enforce justice, and enact retribution. This means identifying evil threats such as secretive power groups and inherently evil creatures, watching over them, and being ready to attack the moment they misbehave. (These are always retributive strikes, never preemptive.)
- The Zhentarim is your family. You watch out for it, and it watches out for you.
- You are the master of your own destiny. Never be less than what you deserve to be.
- Everything—and everyone—has a price.
To amass wealth, power, and influence.
- The natural order must be respected and preserved.
- Forces that seek to upset the natural balance must be destroyed.
- The wilderness can be harsh. Not everyone can survive in it without assistance.
To restore and preserve the natural order, keep the elemental forces of the world in check, keep civilization and the wilderness from destroying one another, and help others survive the perils of the wilderness.